Monday, February 26, 2007

My Thoughts on the Oscars

I know little and care even less about what happens in Hollywoodland these days. But because Manny asked and because I actually had seen some of the nominated films within the past year, I agreed to go the Cinemat and watch the Oscars last night. I had a surprisingly good time, and even won second place on a ballot contest (Manny won first).

Without further adieu, here are my thoughts on the 79th Annual Academy Awards.
  • Ellen was an excellent presenter. She was just amusing enough without being obnoxious. Yay, Ellen!
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the sound effects choir and the weird dance troupe.
  • Hooray to some of my favorites that won awards: An Inconvenient Truth, Pan's Labyrinth, The Departed, and Little Miss Sunshine.
  • I was disappointed, but not surprised, that Al Gore didn't announce his candidacy for president. I was just happy to see Al Gore.
  • I was also happy to see Catherine Deneuve. Yay, Catherine Deneuve!
  • Wow, Peter O'Toole is old.
  • Hey, look! It's George Lucas!
  • Clint Eastwood's translation of Ennio Morricone's speech was painful.
  • Gwyneth Paltrow, Penélope Cruz, Rachel Weisz, and Helen Mirren all looked beautiful, Kirsten Dunst should have stayed at home, Reese Witherspoon still looks like a troll, and I think someone slipped Maggie Gyllenhaal some 'ludes.
  • 5 comments:

    gusgreeper said...

    adam and i both got 14 on our ballots.
    ellen ruled.

    Timmy said...

    I didnt watch. But with this wonderful review, I didnt need to!

    Thanks Gigi!

    taylor said...

    I watched parts of it in a half-drunken state. I had to change the channel during Eastwood's translation. Loved the Spielberg/Eastwood/Ellen camera bit, as well as everything else she did. She rocks. God I'm watching too much TV because I then caught her doing standup on Comedy Central at 1 in the morning last night. For all my dollars I'll take that British chick from the Devil Wears Prada. What? I watched on the airplain coming home.

    If you remember nothing else... remember this: it's never too late to start procrastinating, so stop putting it off.

    taylor said...

    god, I can't even spell aeroplayne.

    Stacey said...

    Yes! Love Ellen! Love Al Gore!