Thursday, January 04, 2007

Revelation

I have seen Disney's The Little Mermaid approximately 527 times since its release in 1989, when I was 6. It was my favorite childhood movie and probably still my favorite classic Disney movie. I have the entire movie memorized still, to this day. It made such an impact on me at the time that, for an alarmingly long time considering my age, I wanted to be a mermaid and firmly believed in their existence.

Anyway, when it was released to DVD this past fall, I immediately bought it so I could share the magic with the girls. They loved it and, filling me with pride, exclaimed that they, too, wanted to be mermaids! We've sinced watched this movie many, many times, one of which being last night.

While watching the scenes after Ariel is transformed into a human and has three days to convince Prince Eric that she is his "mystery maiden," something dawned on me for the first time in 18 years. Why didn't she just write it down? She obviously knew how to write, because she signed her name on the contract with Ursula. Is that all she knew how to write?

It really bothers me that it took me so long to realize this.

5 comments:

ads510 said...

i too love the little mermaid (i think its my fave disney movie too), and often wondered why she didn't just write that shit down. but then we wouldn't have any of the wacky antics of ariel trying to convince him without being able to talk. and sebastien probably wouldn't sing "kiss the girl", so all would be lost.

and speaking of little mermaid, one of my fave things to do to annoy the hell out of scott is to go around the house singing the "Aaah Aaah Aaah, Aaah Aaah Aaah" part when Ariel is giving Ursula her voice.

Nölff said...

Little girls leave naked barbie dolls and little mermaids in the bath tub.

My nieces leave some kind of doll that sings ahh ahhh ahhh in my tub all the time. I'm all like: What song is she singing? Then I end up playing with it while I'm taking a bath and I'm all like: This is so gay, dude.

RILAH said...

hahahaha. the post was funny and the comments are funny and so, i've laughed 3 times in 1 minute.

shzam.

Timmy said...

whoa! That is deep, man.

Stacey said...

Hmm. Having watched Little Mermaid 435 times since Christmas, I never noticed that either.

And by the way, the Michael Landon did NOT disappoint! You're a genius.