Friday, January 05, 2007

I Still Reserve the Right to Sit Around and Do Nothing, Though.

I have an old friend who is one of the most free-spirited, most alive people I have ever met. She has been this way as long as I have known her. She goes places and does things and lives her life being completely true to herself in the most unabashed and unapologetic way. I have always been jealous of her vibrance and beauty, but now I'm learning to take inspiration from it.

My resolution for 2007 (and pretty much from now on) is simply to live. This sounds hokey, I know, but it's so vague and broad that I think it may actually work. There are so many things I want to do and experience and learn. There are so many places I want to go and see. I don't want these to be just fleeting ideas, I want to act on them. If I think to myself one day that I'd like to learn ballroom dancing or see geysers in Iceland or audition for Jeopardy!, I don't want to dismiss it - I want to think "Why not?" Of course I can't do everything all at once, and of course there is always the beauty and comfort of everyday life.

I've just been giving more consideration to the fact that this is the only life I have. It's the only chance I've got, and I don't want to fuck it up.

2 comments:

RILAH said...

sounds like a plan.

i have one of those friens, too. they truly make the best best-friends and she's an inspiration to me...

(so are you)

think of something that we can do while you're here - something considered living!

Stacey said...

Right on.