Monday, January 29, 2007

Condensed and Abridged With Nutritional Annotations

I'm back from my trip. Here's what I did and the food I ate while I did it.

Monday: Drove five hours to Chicago. Ate delicious chopped salad. Karaoked at a gay bar - sang "Common People" by Pulp and "Joey" by Concrete Blonde. Smoked too much and stayed out too late but had a fabulous time. Tuesday: Woke up early, went to airport. Smooth, uncrowded, pleasant flight to Newark. Felt like I was going to die, though, from lack of sleep and food. Auntie J picked me up and took me to her house. Napped, went to lunch (mmm... spinach and onion frittata), napped more, went to dinner. Best bruschetta I have ever had in my life, followed by almond cake with raspberry sauce. Oh my god. Back to Auntie J's house where the whole family gathered 'round and watched President Douchebag give the State of the Union address. Boooo. Wednesday: Slept in (flannel sheets!). Took train to NY with Auntie J. Muffin and coffee at Penn Station. I love New York. Rode the wooden escalator in Macy's. Waited in line outside The Daily Show's studio for two hours. In the cold. Had in-depth conversation with Auntie J about our deep, dark family secrets. Taping of show was awesome - Jon Stewart is lovely and charming, but very short. Very interesting to see how show is taped - lots of cameras moving constantly. Scott McClellan was special guest. After show, went out for beer and burgers. Mmmm. Went home and re-watched the show on TV. Surreal. Thursday: Woke up early, dressed in multiple layers. Took train to Manhattan all by myself. Rode subway to Greenwich Village. Breakfast at diner (bagel, coffee). Tried to figure out where the fuck I was in relation to where I wanted to be (was difficult as I didn't really know where it was I wanted to be). Walked, walked, walked. Went to Andy's Chee-Pees (great vintage store) where things were no longer cheap. $75 for a shitty Fleetwood Mac concert tee? No way. Walked, walked, walked around NYU campus. Pretended I was a student. Went to little store and bought an Ugly Doll for K. Walked, walked, walked. Was cold and exhausted so I stopped to see a movie. Didn't care what was playing. Paid $11 to see a Romanian movie about a dying old man. Actually got into it, despite the fact that I am neither old nor directly a Romanian. After movie, took subway uptown to Rockefeller Center - wanted to take some touristy pictures. Walked, walked, walked. Realized camera was malfunctioning and it was getting late. Got lost some more, made it back to Penn Station and back on the train. Made it back to Auntie J's house and then she took me over to Auntie S's house. Broccoli soup, good bread, more almond cake. Hung out with my cousin Em, read some of The History of Love. Friday: Aunties took me to airport. Was sad to leave New Jersey. Plane was crowded and noisy. Made it to Chicago, had Steak 'n' Shake with Dale and Will. Drove five hours in crazy wind. Was happy to be home again.

Pictures to come soon.

7 comments:

RILAH said...

good god you did a lot. note to gigi: rilah is not that energetic and possibly you should consider buying a touristy book on vancouver so as to plan some walk, walk, walk time when rilah as crumbled in food-orgasms and is too full to move.

another note to gigi: i like to cook, a lot. tell me faves and i can plan!

ads510 said...

sounds like you need a mini-break from your vacation. glad you had a good time though, and i'm very impressed with your ability to brave NYC on your own!

Stacey said...

Sounds awesome! Lucky you.

I must tell you that I am very shocked that Jon Stewart is SHORT. I always thought of him as very tall. Hmph.

Taylor said...

there's nothing like walking a city. i may be heading to either D.C., Costa Rica, or Asia - unless of course I stay put. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...

indygirl said...

Delightful!

Timmy said...

sounds like a fun filled experience!

gusgreeper said...

AWESOME! now you know why watching made me go INSANE! :)