Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Ignorance May Be Bliss, But it Still Makes You Ignorant.

The state of this country saddens me. If I had to describe it in three words, I'd use disgusting, disheartening, and suffocating.

What bothers me more is that people exist out there that don't know about, or even worse, care about politics. I have certain friends and acquaintances that just don't bother reading or thinking about the subject. They'd rather bide their time watching Dancing With the Stars and stuffing themselves with mental junk food.

Wake the fuck up! You may not particularly care about the hot-button issues like stem cell research, gay marriage, immigration laws, Iraq, abortion, etc. - probably because it doesn't directly affect you. But just you wait. If this current wave of conservative control continues on any longer, it will eventually affect you. Healthcare, taxes, social services, shit - even the Internet and the materials you can find at your local library - you will be affected.

Today is Election Day. Get the fuck out there and vote.

When the Nazis arrested the Communists, I said nothing; after all, I was not a Communist. When they locked up the Social Democrats, I said nothing; after all, I was not a Social Democrat. When they arrested the trade unionists, I said nothing; after all, I was not a trade unionist. When they arrested the Jews, I said nothing; after all, I was not a Jew. When they arrested me, there was no longer anyone who could protest.
Martin Niemöller

4 comments:

aughra said...

I love that quote.

I posted about voting today - just a few pictures.

Go out there and turn your red state blue, sista.

ads510 said...

at least you live in one of the few counties in indiana that the democrats should win. hope is generally lost down here in kentucky.

indygirl said...

That is an amazing quote.

Stacey said...

Awesome post.