Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!

I love Halloween. It's pretty much my favorite holiday, and I think it has mostly to do with the combination of the colors black and orange. I especially love all the spooky imagery that comes along with it... ghosts, vampires, skeletons, black cats. I much more prefer those things to Santa, snowmen, and evergreen trees. It's also the only time of year I can go to the store and buy goblets in the shape of skulls.

Over the years, I have had many Halloween costumes. I've been a ghost, She-Ra, Pocahontas, a hippie, Sylvia Plath (yes, it's true), a Spanish flamenco dancer, and several variations on a goth chick. Today, I am simply wearing a purple bob-length wig which I am very much enjoying, and which Kitten says makes me look like DeeDee Doodle from Nickelodeon's The Doodlebops. I do not agree with her, but oh well.

Tonight, I will be ushering around a witch (C-Rex) and a black cat who has insisted that her costume include a skirt (Kitten). This will be the girls' first year of "real" trick-or-treating, now that we live in a bona fide neighborhood. Hopefully, though, we don't come across any neighbors like this guy, who thinks that kids are really going to a) care about and b) appreciate little bits of Christian paraphernalia along with their candy. Dude. Let it go. It's one night a year. Lay off the Pagan-rooted holiday if you have such an issue with it. Your tract is just going to get tossed into the garbage along with those nasty orange- and black-wrapped chewy things.

Anyway, have a safe and happy Halloween, and watch out for those razor blades...

8 comments:

Pablo said...

Have fun with the kids, tonight!

That guy is LAME!

ads510 said...

there was a guy in the neighborhood where we used to trick or treat that did that. we'd always just throw the pamphlet in his yard as we left.

and WHY do they make those stupid orange and black candies? they are so nasty, and what the hell are they supposed to taste like? strangely, my mom LOVES them, and she calls them "mary janes." I think she's just high.

gigi said...

no, they're really called maryjanes. they're disgusting.

what kills me is that a lot of churches have "beggars' night" or things like that, where they give out treats, have a bonfire, etc. sometimes the kids wear costumes, sometimes not. it's the SAME DAMN THING!

gusgreeper said...

although i almost never dress up, i went as britney from the hit me baby one more time video this one year and the girl that did my wedding makeup did my make up and man did she ever do a good job anyway...i don't dress up much but it is pretty much the only holiday i like or participate in with a positive attitude.
i hope you have great fun tonight!!! i would love to see photos of all your costumes over the years.....

indygirl said...

Maryjanes are still better than circus peanuts. Yuck!

gigi said...

oh my god. definitely. the worst possible way i could die would be to choke on an orange circus peanut. gag.

gigi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ads510 said...

aren't circus peanuts just styrofoam peanuts painted orange? they taste the same anyway...