Monday, September 25, 2006

I Don't Know if I Can Take it Anymore

Kitten is an extremely musical child. She likes to sing, she likes to listen to music. I suspect at some point in the future, I'll have to start shelling money out for some sort of instrument lesson. This is all wonderful - don't think it doesn't excite me to have a child so into music.

However, she has developed a recent fascination - no, obsession - that is rather amusing and somewhat bizarre.

Maybe it's the hair. Or the makeup. Or the bright colors and lights. Or maybe it's just Dee Snider's charisma and crazy stage antics, but my daughter has become a die-hard fan of Twisted Sister.

She first "discovered" them by rifling through our collection of LPs. She picked up our copy of Stay Hungry, on which Dee is in full makeup, gnawing on a meaty bone. She asked me who it was, and I told her. Manny then found one of their videos on YouTube, and she has been in love ever since. We listen to them in the car. We watch their videos on YouTube. Over and over. She narrates them for us. We have conversations about them. Do you know how hard it is to explain to a three-year-old that Twisted Sister aren't really sisters, or even girls, for that matter?

But this morning, when I woke her up, the first words out of her mouth as she sat up were "Twisted Sister!" She got out of bed, went downstairs, climbed on Manny's lap, and demanded that he played her a video. And, feeding her obsession, he obliged.

8 comments:

Timmy said...

awesome! I love them TOO!

ads510 said...

that is HILARIOUS! And think how lucky you are that she isn't obsessed with something horrible like KidzBop! Twisted Sister Rocks!

aughra said...

That is brilliant. I am reminded of some of Gus's early obsessions. I really should find a way to put his band video on my blog - he and his cousin started a band called Tough Shark.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! "I wanna rock!" Next, introduce some Bon Jovi or ZZ Top. ;)

indygirl said...

Hide the Aqua Net!

gusgreeper said...

awesome. i totally remember being in grade 6 and rocking out in the gym to we're not gonna take it during some endurance test shit. good times.

popfizz said...

what do you wanna do with your life!!!???!?!?!

gusgreeper said...

this is lame but i wanted to correct it was surrey BC so i was in either grade 3 or 4 not 6.