Thursday, August 17, 2006

Yesterday Was a Big Day

Total number of children taken to kindergarten: 1.
Total number of individual cars driven: 3.
Total number of hours spent at the car dealership: 2.
Total number of new cars purchased: 1.


C's first day of kindergarten went very well. We took her to the school an hour early so we could look around the place. Her elementary school looks like a very nice, very fun place to be. There were framed black-and-white prints of various celebrities and quotes, and C instantly identified John Lennon and Yoko Ono (before Kermit the Frog, even!). We were accosted by some lovely ladies from the PTO during the parents' coffee, where we had to explain our rather unorthodox situation. Yes, C has two mommies, no, it's not "like that," and yes, it is possible for the mother and stepmother to be not only in the same room, but good friends! It's almost funny how many people are surprised by this.

Anyway, C's teacher seems wonderful, and her classroom was quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. It made me desperately want to be five years old again, when the world is still a magnificent mystery punctuated by new discoveries and snack breaks.

Later that evening, after spending over two hours at the car dealership making hardheaded negotiations, I finally acquired a new car (hooray, no more little brother's car! hooray, i only drove a rental for 10 hours!). I am now the proud driver of a 2005 Ford Focus. I got a crazy deal on it, and it's a great car. Manny has informed me that I am not to go putting any "bumper stickers or shit" on it, because he wants to "keep it classy." I agree, but I may sneak a sticker on to the back window or something. Maybe, just maybe...

8 comments:

ads510 said...

that is pretty awesome that you can get along with c-rex's mom, i'm sure it makes things much easier for her as she's growing up.

my kindergarten definitely did not have any cool pictures of celebrities. :(

way to go on the new car! I drove a focus for about a week when i wrecked my old car and i loved it. it gets great gas mileage!

MaeMae said...

Gosh, do you remember when we went to kindergarden? we didn't get to go all day!!!! I hope you like your Focus.... I like them....

gigi said...

i know! i had afternoon kindergarten, i think. shit, i don't remember. all i remember was learning letters with the letter people, dressing up like a pilgrim on thanksgiving, and some guy dressed like an indian bringing in venison. i refused to eat it.

yeah, that was kindergarten. animated letters and weird meat.

indygirl said...

I was in the "PM class" myself.

I'm so excited about the new wheels and I can't wait for a joyride Saturday!

C-Rex is so adorable there, as usual.

The amazing G one said...

The whole time I was reading this all I could think about were the Alphabet characters!!! And of course when Q and U got married.

That and how much cooler you would be if it was in fact "two mommies" in the fabulous way...quite possibly the only way that you, good maam, could get any cooler.

gigi said...

there are men, and then there are men that are fabulous, like "the amazing g one."

rilah said...

woohoo!

i had afternoon kindergarten, too. thank god there wasn't all day, back then.

taylor said...

Ha! Sind Sie Ast ein Fokus, Sie solch ein Nachfolger.