Thursday, August 03, 2006

That's the Way the Whole Darned Human Comedy Keeps Perpetuating Itself

I consider myself to be an upbeat Sartrean existentialist. I don't believe we have a purpose, but we define ourselves and our "role" in this world through our existence and the things we do. Essentially, we're the creators of our destiny. We're responsible for our choices and our identity. There's no meaning to our lives unless we create one, and then it's only valuable to us anyway. This can be really depressing, if you choose to make it depressing.

But I don't. It's almost a carpe diem thing. This is my life, my only life, and I will choose to live it a certain way, and because of my decisions, I try to make the best of it. So I'm not living it up in a big city, being famous and shit, making lots of money. Yeah, that sucks, but I'm the one that chose to have a child, chose to be in a very meaningful relationship and pursue a more domestic lifestyle. That was my choice, so I'm going to enjoy it. I take pleasure in the little things, like my daughter telling me that I'm her "best friend." I look forward to things like cookouts and making breakfast and hanging out with the kids in the backyard wading pool. That sort of thing may seem mundane to someone else, but I don't give a shit. It's what I like.

A friend of mine once gave me a card that I still have. It's very simple, black background with white lettering. It reads:

Fall in love or fall in hate.
Get inspired or be depressed.
Ace a test or flunk a class.
Make babies or make art.
Speak the truth or lie and cheat.
Dance on tables or sit in the corner.
Life is divine chaos. Embrace it.
Forgive yourself. Breathe.
And enjoy the ride...

I fucking love that card. It makes me feel better every time I read it. That's how I see it. You choose what you do. Life is chaos, you take what you can from it, and whether it's defined as good or bad or otherwise is up to you.

5 comments:

crazycatlady said...

I love the card as well. Life is definately chaos, and we have to make what we want out of it. We have to keep ourselves entertained and happy...if we don't do that for ourselves, we can't expect anyone else to do it for us. Here's to happy chaos...

Chicken said...

I agree. I have made some bad decisons and some good ones, but I wouldn't be where I am today without any of it.

indygirl said...

For me, the meaning of life is found in series of short term goals. That might sound depressing, but it's actually quite liberating.

Ha! The word verification is "diemz"

gigi said...

no, i understand! i feel the same way. short-term goals. good one.

my word is "vpdvcccy." oh wait, that isn't funny.

t a y l o r said...

I am a hedonist. Simply put: I seek to maximize those things that bring me pleasure and minimize those that bring me pain.

Life is not about the decisions we make, it is about what our decisions make of us.

Enjoyed the senitments today. Keep on keepin' on.