Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Memory # 132

I am eight years old. I am in the third grade. It is a rainy, chilly November day. I am wearing a red turtleneck. I do not feel good. I think I have a fever. It is silent reading time during class, and I am currently working on Ramona Quimby, Age 8. I love the Ramona books. I think I even look a bit like Ramona.

I am reading a chapter in which Ramona is sick, and she throws up in front of the entire class. Reading this makes me feel even worse, and I tell my teacher that I think I may have a fever. She takes my temperature with the very weird thermometer strips, and then sends me to the nurse's office. On the way there, I can't stop thinking about Ramona throwing up. By the time I reach the nurse's office, I feel like dying. I lay down on the very hard plastic cot while the nurse calls my mom to come pick me up. I throw up in a trash can. Eventually my mom arrives, signs me out, and takes me home. I fall asleep in my bed to the sound of the rain on my window.

7 comments:

ads510 said...

i LOVED ramona. I pretty much loved everything beverly cleary. i always liked her better than judy blume.

at least you had the trashcan. I threw up in front of my class in second grade and they had to break out the vomit-absorbing woodchips. very embarrassing.

gigi said...

i remember the smell of those. it was awful. it was a horribly sickly-sweet smell.

indygirl said...

So basically you had sympathy vomit for Ramona?

Timmy said...

i puked on my teacher, cause she thought i was faking.

i still hate that woman, to this day and that was in the 1st grade.

aughra said...

I loved Ramona, too.

Beverly Cleary was in a recent Vanity Fair. I think she has a new book.

In third grade I got the chicken pox.

Stacey said...

I still re-read Ramona books to this day, because of the warm fuzzy feelings they give me. Ohhh, straight back to my childhood! And when I taught 3rd grade, that is the very first book I read aloud to my class (but I am glad to report that no one threw up).

SFChick74 said...

Ramona books were great! Definitely a must read.