Thursday, July 20, 2006

Starstricken

I am normally a very charming, intelligent person with decent social skills.

However, when I meet someone who has even the tiniest bit of celebrity status, I clam up and turn into a complete retard. Luckily, this has only happened a couple of times. Unfortunately, one of these times was last night.

The Dresden Dolls are, without a doubt, a fucking incredible couple of musicians. I play the piano, and I aspired to be Tori Amos - that is, until I saw Amanda Palmer play. Jesus. I've never seen anyone play with as much passion and madness as that woman does. Somehow, the tripped-over notes and discord and her raw, crazy, haunting voice make their music even more satisfying. And Brian Viglione? It takes a very impressive performance to reduce me to the status of starstruck twelve-year-old. Drummers are not typically erotic.

Anyway, so the show last night was good. It was not nearly as good as when I saw them with Devotchka back in November '05, but that's because they weren't headlining this show. Who the fuck had the idea to have the Dresden Dolls open for the little boys from Panic! At the Disco? Who thought that was a smart thing to do? We were surrounded by little emo kids and their very patient, tolerant parents. The Dolls only played a half-hour long set, but it was a strong one. After they were done, I bought their new songbook/sheetmusic book, and IndyGirl and I waited in line to meet them.

While we're in line, I'm trying to think of witty things to say. Of course, I had nothing. I get to Amanda, and she is very fascinating close-up. Her hair is like a pretty little bird's nest, her eyebrows are, of course, painted on in swirls. She's standing there in a Debaser t-shirt with her raggedy stockings, and she smiles at me. She has very cute teeth. I hand her my book and she says, "Do you play?" and wiggles her fingers, mimicking piano keys. I nod vigorously and say, "Yes, and you make me want to keep playing." She takes my book, and writes in very big letters inside the cover, "PLAY HARD." I say, "I will." And I want to touch her hair, but I don't, because that might seem strange.

So then I move on to Brian. Brian is much shorter than I expected, and I think he's cuter with his makeup on. He has a very friendly smile, though, and reaches out to hug me. Brian Viglione reached out to hug me - I did not initiate this hug! But it is a nice, real, long hug, and I all I can manage to say is, "Oh, I love you, you are beautiful." And he says, "Thank you."

Honestly, could I have been more generic?

Anyway, all in all, it was definitely enjoyable, despite the emo kids and my momentary nerdiness. And I can't wait to torture my parents when I use the piano at their house to pretend I'm Amanda Palmer.

7 comments:

indygirl said...

Mmmm... he's so hot.

Weeee! I hope we get to see them for time #3 very soon!

Timmy said...

AWESOME STORY KID! Luv ya!

ads510 said...

did you take those pictures? those are awesome.

gigi said...

i wish - growing up going to concert where cameras were contraband, i figured i shouldn't try to bring mine... but duh, i should have figured, all the kids these days have cameraphones and shit, so cameras are pretty much allowed now. i kicked myself for it all night. ugh.

ads510 said...

yeah, i used to be a security guard at conseco, and we always had to confiscate cameras, so I still always sneak ours in by making scott stick it down his pants. people just always think he's very happy to be at the concert.

gigi said...

i would sneak them in my pants, too, back in the day. i figured nobody would be patting down my crotch, and they never did.

rilah said...

it sounds like you had an aweseome time! yay. i haven't been to a concert in about 6 years. and nothing that inspiring - well, actually trent reznor did used to inspire me to get nekkid, but you know what i'm sayin'?