Monday, July 10, 2006

Nobody Here But Me and My Weekend

This weekend was very much needed. It was generally an all-around good time, without being cloying and overbearingly fun.

Friday evening was a nice night at home. After an exhilarating round of Jeopardy! at 7:30, we watched a special on the Discovery channel called Countdown to Doomsday, which was exactly that - a list of the top ten ways the earth will be destroyed. Yay! My brothers stopped by for a brief visit, and we chatted with them for a bit. After they left, Manny and I hung out around the house, listening to an ungodly amount of Britpop and reminiscing about the good old days - those days being the nineties, when Clinton was in office and pop culture wasn't utter and complete shit, like it is now. These conversations always strike me as amusing, because the timeframe we usually talk about is when I was about 12-16 and Manny was exactly ten years older. Hmm.

Saturday, I slept until noon, and then I worked for four hours. After work, Manny, C-Rex, and I had dinner at Cheeseburger in Paradise, which is C's favorite restaurant. The food is decent, but the music is positively intolerable. Anyway, the hostess asked C to draw her a nice picture and she would hang it up on the wall behind the hostess stand. Thrilled by the prospect of having her arwork displayed, C created for her a drawing featuring a rainbow, a castle, a bluebird, a vampire with a baby bat, and the killer rabbit (complete with bloody fangs) from Monty Python & the Holy Grail. She even signed her name with the word "zombie" after it.

Later that evening, Manny and I watched a very thorough documentary on the history of comics while I semi-sorted through our belongings and packed some things up.

Yesterday, the illustrious IndyGirl and her fella came down to watch the World Cup final with me and Manny. We spent the afternoon holed up in a pub, glued to the television, cheering for France and booing at Italy. I know it was stupid and may have cost France the game, but Zidane's head butt was so badass. Fuck you, Italy!

Anyway, that was my weekend. Now, back to the grind...

6 comments:

indygirl said...

And he still got the best player award!

It was fun being a sadist with you and laughing way too hard at the collisions and injuries.

gigi said...

well, they were funny, you know :)

Timmy said...

what is this world cup everyone is talking about?

rilah said...

she's a great artist... and yay - the countdown to new house-ville has began!

the doctor and i have those "missing the 90s" conversations all the time *sigh* when, oh when, will grunge come back?

Timmy said...

if we are lucky, grunge will NEVER come back!

SFChick74 said...

I missed out on the whole World Cup thing.