Monday, July 31, 2006

Bam! Biff! Pow!

I was in a wreck on Friday.

I was coming back to work from my lunch, and I was turning left into my parking lot. I had to slow down to wait for a car to pass, and after it passed, I started to turn. And then BAM! The giant van behind me slammed right into me. Apparently, the driver wasn't paying attention. At all. I was in shock for a bit, and then my neck started to hurt. The ambulance came and took me away - they didn't even ask, they just started strapping me to a stretcher. They even taped my head down. The worst part about the whole ordeal was being restrained whilst having to pee... very badly!!

I'm pretty much okay now, but my car is not. I drive an Accord, but now it looks more like a Civic. I have no trunk, and my rear bumper is touching the ground. The van belonged to a company in town, so theoretically they have good insurance. We'll see what happens, but I'd kind of like a new car...

6 comments:

ads510 said...

let me know if you end up needing an attorney. i'm not licensed in Indiana, but I've got lots of friends who are.

Timmy said...

glad to hear you are ok! you should get an attorney!

gigi said...

this may sound dumb, but what would i do with an attorney? why do people get attorneys when they're in wrecks? i wasn't horribly disfigured, or even badly injured... what would be the purpose? i'm just asking...

indygirl said...

You were tired of that car anyway ;)

ads510 said...

actually, you'd be surprised how often people get in wrecks, exchange info, and then never hear anything more until a year or so later when people are trying to sue you for "soft tissue injuries" (which is code for a bullshit injury). You never know how insurance companies are going to respond (I actually usually represent the insurance companies, so I know how they never want to pay claims) and if for some reason they decided to not pay the claim, you'd need an attorney to go after the individual (or his employer, whatever) for the damage done to your vehicle. Especially if this guy was driving a company vehicle, the insurance company may try to get out of paying by saying that he was on personal business, etc. Having an attorney is always just a good way to make sure you're going to be well represented in situations like this.

SFChick74 said...

Having been through something similar, I agree with ads510. Get an attorney. The insurance company will have a ton of people on their side to do everything in their power to make sure they pay the least in damages. You should have someone on your side too. And don't think your insurance company will be of much help.

It sounds like you weren't hurt much, so basically they will just have to pay for the one doctor visit and the damages to your car. They should also pay for any time missed from work due to the accident.

The day I was hit, I didn't have any pain. Mostly, I was in shock. The next day though, I could barely hold my head up, my neck was so hurt.