Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Stranger Things Have Happened. Well, I Think They Have. Maybe.

Across the street from my office is a DMV, an insurance office, and a giant Terminix building. Next to the Terminix building is a big, sprawling field (that will, no doubt, one day house some massive shopping plex). Yesterday, as I left the office, I could hear the faint strains of, no shit, bagpipes. I was like, whoa, did I miss St. Patrick's Day? I was looking all over for the source, I was very confused. Finally, I spotted him. The bagpipist. He was playing in the vacant field next to Terminix. I can only assume he was practicing. Or maybe holding a funeral service for someone? I don't know, but it was really interesting. I love the sound of bagpipes.

Kitten has exhibited yet another sign of having good taste... she seems to really like listening to Le Tigre. She was clapping along in time with the music in the car yesterday. She already loves the Ramones, Belle & Sebastian, the Ditty Bops, and the Beatles ("Blackbird" is her nightly lullaby). We were watching some old videos of her last night, which were highly entertaining. There was a great one of her busting serious moves to "She Sells Sanctuary" by the Cult, and another where she's dancing along to Roxy Music.

I went to the grocery store last night. I made a list before I went, and it included the word "asswipes." While I was at the store, I unfortunately ran into this weird kid who works there. This kid is both extremely friendly and horribly socially awkward. The first time I saw him, he was bagging my groceries and kept making odd small talk with me. As he was bagging my lithium batteries, he was like, "Longest-lasting, huh? I don't know if that's true. It's good advertising though. Blah blah blah..." and I was like, "Yeah, I guess I'll find out." Most people would have shut up then, but he kept going on about the batteries. I was like, Jesus, kid, shut up. So that was the first time. I saw him again last night, though. I was perusing the cracker/cookie aisle, and I see him walking down the aisle towards me. I turned away, pretending to be very absorbed in the nutrition value of Cheez-Its, and from the corner of my eye, I see him approaching. He gets to me, stops literally two feet from me, and whispers (WHISPERS!!!), "Is there anything I can help you find?" I laughed (LAUGHED!) and said, "Um, no thanks."

Today is my beautiful little sister's 17th birthday. Happy Birthday, Toad!

(check out my mom's paisley curtains!)

4 comments:

indygirl said...

Do those curtains match the carpet?

Butchieboy said...

I have my daughter trained to ask for Pantera (to irritate wife)

gigi said...

no, they just match my mom's mood.

ads510 said...

was the bagpipist wearing a kilt?