Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Stuff That Makes You Happy When You're a Mom

I had a good morning, despite getting up late (blaming this on the new bedding scheme - so comfortable that it's coma-inducing). I was getting ready when I heard Kitten talking in her bedroom. I didn't know she was up yet, so I went in and didn't see her at first. She was under all her blankets.

"Hellooooo... where are you?" I called.
"I hiding!"
She threw the covers off and sat up. She has the worst morning hair - it sticks in a thousand different directions. She started grinning and then she looked out the window. Then she looked at me and started flapping her arms like a bird and making little bird noises.
"What's with you?" I laughed.
"I a baby chicken," she replied, and started running around her room, still flapping.
All morning long, she kept making little chicken noises. Then, as I was putting dinner into the crockpot (oh yes, the crockpot), she was looking out the back door, yelling "Birdies! Look at the birdies!"

In the car on the way to daycare, we listened to the Backyardigans CD. For those of you not in the know, the Backyardigans is a show on Nick Jr. It's all computer-animated (which I'm not crazy about, but still) and has five main characters: Tyrone, Pablo, Tasha, Uniqua, and Austin. Pablo (or Tablo, as she says) is Kitten's favorite - he's a penguin. It's an adorable show, and thankfully it isn't entirely mindless. It does, in the typical fashion of kids' shows, have an abundance of songs, but the songs are tolerable - which is why I don't mind listening to the CD. They're actually orchestrated, with real instruments! Kitten knows all the words and sings along very well.

While driving, we also shared a fruit/yogurt smoothie. I'm still hesitant about giving her open containers (I mean, cups without lids), but she did fairly well. She insisted on keeping it in her cup holder and told me not to spill it. "Be careful with dat juice, Mommy! Don't spillit!"

After I dropped her off at the daycare, it took me about five minutes before I realized I was still listening to the Backyardigans. And singing along.

2 comments:

indygirl said...

Whew. I had a short panic on the open container bit. Glad you clarified.

Butchieboy said...

Even if my kid has already gone to the sitter I still turn on the TV to PBS in the mornings. One day when the "Elmo's World" music started I said "Uh-Oh..It's Elmo." There was no one else there.