Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My Near-Vegetarian Experience

Vegetarians, brace yourselves. This post is about meat. Well, fish, to be precise. Still a meat.

So last night, I was going to cook some salmon. Because I love salmon. It's a noble, slightly-angry-looking, yet delicious fish. I've been getting this really good frozen salmon, but last night, I picked up some "real" salmon, if you will - not frozen, in cellophane butcher's packaging. It looked okay - like raw, pink fish meat.

So I get it home and I'm going to start cooking it. I open the cellophane, reach in to take it out, and JESUS CHRIST!! There was still FISH SKIN on the other side! Shiny, silvery, WITH SCALES! Holy shit, it was disgusting, and very unexpected. I actually screamed out loud. It was awful. I threw it away because I simply could not handle looking at it, let alone cutting the fish skin off the other side. I am not a person who goes fishing. I do not like seeing just plain old dead fish for sale in the store. I don't even like to flush dead pet fish.

I know what all you vegetarians are thinking. At least it wasn't fur and skin and teeth. Yes, I know. I still like meat, and I just don't think about what it looked like before it was cooked. I don't want to see what my dinner looked like pre-prep.

So it looks like it's back to the frozen salmon.

8 comments:

indygirl said...

Ha ha! That's how it starts my friend... I give you 5 years.

As a child I couldn't eat meat on the bone for that reason and last year I gave up fish for an experience not unlike yours.

gigi said...

yeah, i hate meat on the bone.

Timmy said...

gigi, you are supposed to cook it with that skin on there, and then when it gets done, it just slides right off!

p.s. i love meat on the BONE

indygirl said...

Tim, you just love the bone.

gigi said...

that's what i was going to say :)

and tim, thanks for the tip - but i'm still not touching that shit.

aughra said...

That's fucking hilarious! So, you probably couldn't handle receiving a phone call on a Saturday saying 'Aughra, I have four thirty pound river salmon' and then getting the salmon, and spending an hour or so completely cleaning and deboning on the back porch. Huh?

I love that shit. I could do it all day. But only with fish.

gigi said...

i would sooner not. let me guess, the pete has said this?

SFChick74 said...

I just don't like fish. Although, I'll have some sushi everyone once in a while. Strange, I know. I think it's because the fish is drowning in wasabi and soy sauce, so I can't taste it. Saki and beer help too.