Saturday, February 04, 2006

Je t'aime...

As I mentioned earlier this week, today marks two years since Manny and I became smitten with eachother.

We met online (match.com), and my first reaction to his profile was, "What. The Fuck." This loon had the weirdest pictures - none of him - including a red living room, a creepy-looking old lady, and some kids dressed as pirates. However, he sounded good. We had a lot of the same interests, he had a kid, and he certainly didn't sound boring. So I sent him the message, "You're too weird not to talk to." And lo, history was made.

We emailed and talked on the phone for a couple weeks, and I finally decided to go meet him. He lived about an hour away from me. In case of disaster, I took my then-fourteen-year-old sister with me. I met him at his apartment and loved him from the minute I saw him. He was wearing all black and a cuff bracelet with spikes on it, then put on a trench coat and a jaunty little cap. We walked around in the freezing cold for damn near an hour then went to have pizza. Later in the day, I took him back to his apartment, and we made out in his foyer for twenty minutes (while my sister sat in the car). He touched my ass after we had known eachother in person for less than three hours. Five minutes after I drove away, he called me and asked, "Are you talking about me?" I cracked up because, indeed, we were.

So for six months, we drove back and forth to eachother's apartments, spent crazy drunken nights laying on balconies and talking about crazy shit, put up with eachother's weirdness, and then I moved to his town and we got an apartment together, with our kids.

So now, two years and so much horrible drama later, things are better than ever. We are, quite possibly, the two most compatible people on the face of the earth. The reasons I love Manny have only become more, his quirks that used to drive me nuts (sitting in the dark with a red light on, drinking whiskey and listening to obscure music) now are a part of my life I couldn't do without. He is the silliest, smartest, craziest, loveliest man in the world, and I couldn't ask for anything better. Thank you, Manny, for sticking around, for loving me like you do, for believing in me, for opening up my world and being in it with me. I love everything that you are, despite your snoring and anal-retentive ways. I wouldn't trade you for all the tea in China.

I love you, always.

4 comments:

SFChick74 said...

Congratulations!

Such a lovely homage. It gives me hope that I too might find that special someone someday.

indygirl said...

Awwwwwwwww! C'est tres bien!

Word verify: barvhtfl
As in "I barvhtfl all over that shit."

aughra said...

Adorable.

popfizz said...

damn you and your happiness.

blahhhhhhhh.