Thursday, January 19, 2006

My Cure is the Cure & Great Shows I've Seen

What is greater than getting into your car and discovering that your boyfriend has put your favorite Cure album in the disc changer? That's right, I got into the car this afternoon and "Why Can't I Be You" from the Cure's album Galore came on. I was so happy...

The Cure have always been a favorite of mine - especially the music from Galore because it just sounds like happiness - it sounds like falling in love (hello, "Mint Car!"). But their music just really reminds me of Manny... mostly because he listens to them a lot, but also because we saw them together. August of 2004, we went to Chicago for one of the best shows I've ever been to. Mogwai opened for Interpol who opened for the Cure (there were a couple other bands, too, but I forget who). It was just a lovely, amazing show. I'm not good at describing concerts in words - more like in little noises and gasps and hand motions. Concerts are just all emotion and sound and colors... words aren't good enough.

Some of my other favorite shows have been Flogging Molly - twice, in March and May of '05. One of my most favorite bands ever - and the crowd has been brutal both times. It's somewhere between a jig and a fistfight. Manny, IndyGirl, her Farmer, and I went to see Bauhaus in October of '05 - that was a brilliant show. It was in an old movie theater-style venue and we were right there, very close to the stage. Peter Murphy was as beautiful as ever, though balding a bit. But still beautiful. Oh, and I've also seen Bon Jovi.

So anyway, thank you, Manny, for brightening my day with the delightful sounds of the Cure.

1 comment:

SFChick74 said...

I never really got into the Cure, but I do enjoy a few of their songs.

I don't know why I've never seen Bon Jovi in concert. I just love Wanted Dead or Alive.

Cuz I'm a cowboy on this steal horse I ride...